Pets mean dogs, birds and cats. Other animals such as gold fish, turtles, hamsters, etc. are not allowed to board the aircraft and to be transported. Pets must be in a separate pet carrier when boarding the aircraft.
The new quarantine requirement regarding the import of pets (dogs and cats) to Republic of Korea
Details of Import Quarantine
- The new quarantine requirement regarding the import of pets (dogs and cats) to Republic of Korea will come into effect starting on December 1, 2012.
As of December 1st 2012
- 1) Submit the veterinary health certificate issued by export country’s quarantine authorities
- 2) Microchip implantation in pets or externally attached microchip devices
Size and weight of pet carrier
- The sum of the weights of a pet carrier and pet must be less then 5kg and the sum of three sides (A+B+C) of a carrier cannot exceed 115cm.
The carrier must be small enough to fit in under the front seat.
- If the size or weight does not meet relevant conditions, it will be treated as a checked baggage .
- For domestic and International flights, hand baggage is available.
When being carried as the checked baggage
- The sum of the weights of a pet carrier and pet must be less then 32kg and the sum of three sides of a carrier cannot exceed 246cm (height 84cm).
The pet carrier must have lock and be waterproof and ventilative made of hard metal, wood, or plastic.
- For domestic flights, it can be transported as checked baggage, but international flights, it is not available.
How to apply
- After checking whether your pet is allowed to board on the aircraft (there is a limitation on the number of pets on board depending on the type of aircraft) and destination country’s quarantine regulations regarding pets, please contact the reservation center.
- On your departure date, please bring the Quarantine inspection certificate to the check-in counter and fill out the customs and declaration documentation (2 copies).
How to apply
- Pets are not included in your free baggage allowance
Whether it is hand or checked baggage, you should pay additional pet carriage charge based on the sum of the weight of the pet and carrier.
- 수하물 운송용기는 고객님께서 사전에 미리 준비하여 오셔야 합니다.
단, 기내 휴대 수하물의 운송용기는 에어부산 카운터에서 구매 가능합니다. (기내 휴대수하물 운송용기 금액확인)
Japanese regulations concerning animals (matters to be considered when you depart from Korea)
- The Quarantine inspection certificate issued by the National Veterinary Research Quarantine Service is required, and it takes 14 days to be processed in Japan by its quarantine service institution.
- In case of dogs and cats younger than 90 days do not require rabies-neutralizing antibody test.
- There could be additional documents required by the country you are visiting. Thus, please be advised to prepare thoroughly.
- Please contact related organization for details.
Matters to be checked in advance
- Only one pet is allowed per a passenger. A pet less than 8 weeks old or under a tranquilizer/sedative is not allowed to be transported.
- Please check in advance whether your destination allows pets.
- If your destination country allows pets, please prepare documents (Quarantine inspection certificate etc.) required by the departure and arrival country.
- Please check your pet’s health, condition of pet carrier (padlock etc.), and confirm that the floor of pet carrier is sealed.
- A pet cage must be locked, made of strong materials, such as metal, wood, or plastic and be able to waterproof, ventilation.
- The bottom should be covered by a towel, blanket or pad to absorb urine.
- Soft-sided pet carriers made of fabric or leather are only permitted for carry-on.
- It is not allowed to have 2 pets in a pet carrier (except a mother and her young).
- It is possible to carry on or check in your pet for domestic flights. However, please contact reservation center to make a reservation in advance since there is a limitation on the number of pets on board.
- Food except water shall not be provided during the flight. A cage for a bird should be covered by a cloth.
- During the season of cold weather, the check-in carriage service could be restricted. Thus, please contact the reservation center for details.
- The aisle seats are not available for passengers who want to travel with pet on board due to the lack of space under the seat.